Rhode Island General Treasurer Seth Magaziner announced Wednesday that he’s ending his campaign for governor to instead run as a Democrat for the open second congressional district seat being vacated by U.S. Rep. Jim Langevin.
“The fight to preserve our democracy is the most sacred obligation of this generation and this is why I’ve decided to seek to represent the people of Rhode Island’s second congressional district in the United States House of Representatives,” Magaziner said in a statement. “National Republicans like Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy seek to divide America, undermine democracy, and appeal to the most chaotic, hateful and dangerous elements of their party. Rhode Island must do our part to ensure that they do not succeed.”

Magaziner, 38, is a Bristol native who has served two terms as general treasurer. He was initially seen as a top rival to Gov. Dan McKee when he announced a campaign for governor last year.
However, Democrats in Washington, D.C., pressed Magaziner and fellow gubernatorial candidate Helena Foulkes last weekend to consider running for Congress, due to concerns about the seat falling into Republican hands. Magaziner initially told supporters he was making the switch and then released a statement saying he was still running for governor at this time.
Speaking with reporters at a Cranston library, Magaziner said the back and forth was due to what he called a big decision. He declined to say which member or members of the state’s congressional delegation encouraged him to run or whether he has spoken recently with Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott, who said Sunday she would consider a campaign for the CD2 seat.
To people who have voted for him in past, Magaziner said, “I ask for you support once again, not for myself, but for this greater cause, to keep this seat in Democratic hands, to defend our democracy and to deliver for working people in Rhode Island and across the country.”
Magaziner said the East Side home he shares with his wife and young son is about a mile outside the Second District and that he will move into CD2, although he did not specify a timeline.
Magaziner’s openness to running for the congressional seat suggests that internal polling indicated a tough outlook in the six-way Democratic primary for governor that voters will decide in September.
The newly minted CD2 candidate is the son of former Bill Clinton aide Ira Magaziner.
On the Democratic side of the congressional race, he joins former state rep. Ed Pacheco and refugee advocate Omar Bah.
In a statement, Pacheco welcomed Magaziner to the race: “I welcome anyone and everyone into this race and am looking forward to a spirited debate on the values that matter to every day Rhode Islanders and who is best equipped to represent those values in Washington. As a lifelong resident of the second congressional district, a husband to a frontline healthcare worker, a father to a working family and raised by a single mother, I’ve seen firsthand the struggles Rhode Islanders are facing. I look forward to earning Rhode Islander’s support throughout the second district and ultimately their vote in the primary and going on to win in November. We need to send someone to Washington who is willing to roll up their sleeves and get to work every single day to fight for the values of working families in Rhode Island.”
Magaziner has the benefit of having previously won two statewide campaigns while raising significant amounts of campaign money.
Former Cranston Mayor Allan Fung, a Republican, is considered a strong potential candidate in the second congressional district due to his vote-rich base in Cranston, although he has not announced a run. State Sen. Jessica de la Cruz (R-North Smithfield) and former representative Bob Lancia are running as Republicans.
Magaziner lives in part of Providence that is not in the second district, although he can run without residing in the district.
Langevin, who first won election in 2000, announced last week he will not seek re-election.

