Listenwise helps teachers use stories from their local public radio station with students in their classrooms. Working with RIPR we identify relevant local news stories, design and develop classroom resources around them and make them available for free on the Education Blog. If you want to find more public radio stories and lessons for your middle and high school ELA, social studies, and science classrooms you can sign up for a free account!
Rhode Island, famous for coffee milk syrup, is now home to a new specialty coffee scene. There are a growing number of new coffee shops popping up across the state and the retail coffee market is expanding. Similar to a sommelier, or wine expert, a new type of coffee expert is emerging who provides background on the beans and where they are farmed. They also have special ways to brew the coffee. Listen to hear more about the specialty coffee market and teach your students how it’s helping the economy in Rhode Island.
Use with grades 6-9
Common Core State Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.1: Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.6.3: Delineate a speaker's argument and specific claims, distinguishing claims that are supported by reasons and evidence from claims that are not.
Listening Comprehension Questions
Assign these questions to your students or answer them together in a group.
- How is specialty coffee improving the economy in Rhode Island?
- In what ways is starting a coffee business easier than starting other businesses? How does specialty coffee tie in to the larger food business?
- What are the benefits of getting coffee at a specialty shop instead of at home?
- Why do you think there are different ways to brew coffee?
Use these questions to get students thinking at the beginning of class. They can use evidence from the story to support their ideas during a class discussion.
- Why do you think the popularity of specialty coffee is growing?
- In your opinion, do you think coffee shops will help turn the economy in Rhode Island around? Why or why not?
- Teaching Strategies for using Listenwise in the classroom
- Current Event: Drought Increases Coffee Bean Prices
- The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee, James Freeman
- The East India Company Book of Coffee, Antony Wild