Animated Loading
Having trouble loading this page? Get help troubleshooting.

New Standardized PARCC Testing Begins For Many RI Public Schools

Published
PARCC testing begins Monday for thousands of Rhode Island students, who are taking the test on computers. Critics say the test fails to accommodate...

PARCC testing begins Monday for thousands of Rhode Island students, who are taking the test on computers.

Critics say the test fails to accommodate students who need extra time and students with learning disabilities. But Education officials say students will have ample time to complete PARCC, whether they take it online or on paper.

Some critics have pointed out students could be forced to stop working if their computers shut down automatically. The State Department of Education says that’s not the case. The agency says, there’s extra time built into each testing session, and like the former NECAP, students with disabilities or special accommodations can continue working even after time is up.

PARCC covers math and English from Third grade to high school with testing mainly in March and May. For some students it could take as much as 11 hours each year. There’s a growing national movement pushing parents to have their children skip the test. 

About 80 percent of Rhode Island districts are using the computer test, which begins Monday. The other 20 percent will use traditional paper testing scheduled to begin later this month.

Do you have insight or expertise on this topic?  Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. news@ripr.org

New Standardized PARCC Testing Begins For Many RI Public Schools
New Standardized PARCC Testing Begins For Many RI Public Schools