Providence resident Taffii Moore says she’s been subject to racial epithets and harassment online and in-person in the weeks since she held a press conference publicly calling for accountability after police responded to her home on the evening of June 29th. 

Speaking to reporters Friday afternoon, Moore said her house has since been targeted regularly by people in cars, who drive by, shout slurs at her and her family and have thrown bottles. She’s also experienced harassment on the phone, and online, including through a right-wing blog. 

This week, Moore said, people attempted to set her home on fire. 

“My bushes were set on fire,” Moore said. “If my son wasn't downstairs, that could have caught on to my house. It's been ongoing for the last almost a month now that we've been having to deal with.”

Providence Public Safety Commissioner Steven Paré said this week, an accelerant was used in setting the fire, though no suspects have been identified. 

Moore’s call for police accountability stemmed from a June 29th incident in her neighborhood, in which more than two dozen police officers responded to noise complaints in the area. When they arrived on scene, officers said neighbors were in the midst of a dispute. Moore said the argument arose over littering and garbage in the area, and was essentially over by the time officers appeared.

During an altercation between residents and police, five were arrested including four minors and pepper spray was deployed in the vicinity of small children. Footage of the evening, from bystanders, and police body cameras caused a public outcry over police conduct, and the use of the pepper spray.

In the body camera and bystander footage, officers can be seen swearing at residents, and one officer appears to refer to residents as “animals.” At the time, Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza said some of the officers did not act professionally. 

An internal review implicated three officers for their demeanor during the evening. Two faced discipline, a third retired during the investigation. The city maintained that pepper spray was used within department guidelines. 

“We are satisfied that they used the appropriate use of force at Sayles Street,” Paré said this week of the city’s review. “I know it never is pretty when we have to use spray. The Attorney General's Office reviewed those body cams as well. And they also concurred that the use of force was appropriate.” 

An online fundraising campaign raised some $20,000 for one of the officers disciplined, Patrick Hourahan. The Boston Globe Friday reported that the platform “GoFundMe” had removed the campaign.

An online campaign for Taffii Moore’s family remains live and has raised more than $14,000. Moore said Friday that she had used some money donated to pay for hotel rooms, when she felt unsafe in her house. 

Moore added that she was unsatisfied with the city’s review of the June 29th incident. 

“I don't feel like they're being held accountable,” said Moore. “Each one of them individually put their hands on my children, they individually should apologize. My kids are owed an apology.” 

Moore’s 21-year old daughter was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Taffii Moore said she wants the charges dropped. She added that her husband, a RIPTA driver, was placed on leave with pay, soon after her original press conference with no reason provided. Moore said she has not been contacted by the city since June. 

“You know, I've been in and out of my home,” Moore said. “Sometimes I stay here, sometimes I don't. I have to make sure my kids are safe at all times. So if I don't feel like they're safe because of things that went on, then I have to leave my own home. I shouldn't have to leave my home.”

At this time, Moore says she does not plan to file legal action against the city or police department.